You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Tutorial’ category.
This has driven me crazy for weeks, I just haven’t been able to access web_dav I setup at dreamhost.com.
I found a perfect article on how to do it at Geek Boy’s Blog. It’s so simple,…
Make sure you add the port number to the url you provide for the network place.
Once I did that, I connected instantly. No more need for third party apps, I can just access it. 🙂
The goal of this document is to walk through the installation of a MoinMoin wiki without getting bogged down in any details. We’ll go through requirements, decisions, and steps to complete, that’s all. (OK, I did end up indicating what directories are added; I can’t stand when stuff is added I don’t know about.) I will follow up this post with the details for those who are interested. Once you have completed the steps herein you will have a working MoinMoin wiki on your Dreamhost.com shared hosting account. By no way is this the only way to set up MoinMoin on an account, or even the best way, but I tested it and it will work. Lets get to it!
- Dreamhost shared hosting account.
- A domain setup as fully hosted
- Shell and FTP access to the domain account
- Dreamhost running python version 2.4
- MoinMoin version 1.8.5
- Understanding of editing files from Linux shell
- acctname is the accout name you used to access your domain account through ssh and FTPS.
- ~/ = $HOME = /home/acctname/
- URL to run wiki from (we use sub directory) [We will use: http://hosteddomain/wiki]
- Private name for the wiki’s instance name [We will use: dhwiki]
- Download MoinMoin wiki tarball from http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinDownload (moin-1.8.5.tar.gz) to your local workstation.
- From FTP: upload file to Dreamhost into folder ~/files [/home/acctname/files]
** All commands from now on are from your shell access **
- cd ~/files
tar -xvzf ~/files/moin-1.8.5.tar.gz [new directory is created: ~/files/moin-1.8.5
python setup.py --quiet install --prefix=$HOME --record=install.log
[two directories created: ~/share/moin; ~/lib/python2.4/site-packages/MoinMoin]
- Setup environment variables
cp -R $SHARE/data $INSTANCE
cp -R $SHARE/underlay $INSTANCE
cp $SHARE/config/wikiconfig.py $INSTANCE
chmod -R o+rwX $INSTANCE
- Edit file $INSTANCE/wikiconfig.py
Find and change the follwing lines:
- sitename = u’Your Wiki Title‘
- logo_string = u'<img src=”/wiki/common/moinmoin.png” alt=”MoinMoin Logo”>’
- Remove hash (#) in front of: page_front_page = u”FrontPage”
- data_dir = ‘/home/acctname/share/moin/dhwiki/data/’
- data_underlay_dir = ‘/home/acctname/share/moin/dhwiki/underlay/’
- url_prefix_static = ‘/wiki’ [(remove # from line)]
- mail_smarhost = “dreamhost smtp server“
cp -R $SHARE/htdocs wiki
chmod -R a+rX wiki
cp $SHARE/server/moin.cgi ./cgi-bin
chmod -R a+rx ./cgi-bin
- Edit file moin.cgi
Find and change the following lines. Please remove the # if they exist on THESE lines:
- sys.path.insert(0, ‘home/acctname/lib/python2.4/site-packages’)
- sys.path.insert(0, ‘/home/acctname/share/moin/dhwiki‘)
- Edit file index.html
Find and change the following lines:
- <meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0; URL=cgi-bin/moin.cgi/”>
- Click <a href=”cgi-bin/moin.cgi”>here</a> to get to the FrontPage
- Go to your favorite browser and enter your wiki’s domain: Http://hosteddomain/wiki
Use these instructions at your own risk. I extend no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy or safety of your data or website.
These instructions where tested by building the following wiki: http://MMonDH.brettski.com/wiki
All comments are welcome
- Initial post after successfully building a wiki following exact steps