When trying to connect to a new database engine, I would would receive the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to
interface type ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider’.
This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for
the interface with IID ‘{6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-00AA006009FA}’
failed due to the following error: No such interface supported
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)

I found two resources to fix this; the first is a registry hack, the second refers to dll to register. I chose the second and my issue went away.



As you can see the second link is from Microsoft support, which I gravitated toward fist.
I used the components guid, 6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-00AA006009FA, for my search.

Good luck, I hope this helps someone out there